Thursday, October 18, 2012

Prep-ing the yeast in the flour bowl.

ב''ה

This is something I figured out I thought I would share.

Even though I like to use instant yeast over active dry, I ended up with a big bag of the dry stuff. It is nice to be able to mix it with the dry ingredients. I also found it frustrating to prep it in a separate bowl first and then have a hard time getting all the yeast particles off the rim. 

First of all, many recipes tell you to put sugar in the yeasty water to make sure it is still alive. If you use your yeast regularly, you have a pretty good idea of whether or not it is still peppy. You can simply skip that step.

Second, I realized you can make a well in the flour and prep the active dry yeast right there, in the bowl.

First you put the yeast. This is a picture of this weeks challah dough recipe (I bake challah every friday, for the Shabbat). After experimenting with all kinds of flour mixtures, I realized the all AP flour seems to make the best challah's for me.


Then the warm water. While you are waiting for the yeast to wake up the flour is already in 'autolyse'. Plus, if your eggs are cold, the warm water takes off their cold edge by the time you mix it.


No comments:

Post a Comment