Sunday, December 5, 2010

Heavenly Cake - Chocolate Velvet Fudge Cake

ב''ה


This delicious cake has a lot of liquid, unusual for one of Rose's chocolate cakes. As usual, I added a few extra tablespoons of liquid to the cocoa at the beginning of the recipe so that the cake would not be too dry. I realized too late that the 4.2 oz of water you put in afterwards would more than account for any dryness. It ended up tasting like watered down chocolate. It still had a light crumb and nice crust but the chocolate flavor was a little weak. 

Not very pleased with the way my candle looked but the flavor does contrast nicely with the cake. I used wilton red icing to color the top.

Now that is what candles are supposed to look like. ;)


7 comments:

  1. Mendy.. you need to explain to me how you made the candle, I have not idea if it was the cold medicine, but for the life of me, I just could not make out the instructions AT ALL!

    But, the cake was oh so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ב''ה

    I don't know how closely I read the Rose's instructions but here is what I did. I took two ziplock sandwich bags and put two thirds in one with some cocoa powder and 1/3 in the other bag with some red coloring. I closed the bags and kneaded the color in. Then I took them out of the bags and rolled them together by hand into a candle. If I had some orange color I would have attempted to do some of that as well for in between the red and dark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake is beautiful! I'm impressed that you attempted the candle. I think I'm going to skip that part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Hanukkah menorahs! Kudos to you for making the marzipan candle. I skipped that part.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter agrees with you about the need for a stronger chocolate taste.

    I must echo Vicki's comment about your menorahs; they're beautiful. I'll bet each one holds special memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mendy - Happy Hanukkah, or do you spell it the other way??

    I followed Rose's recipe exactly, but wish now that I would have added a little more water because it was a tad on the dry side.

    Happy baking.
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  7. ב''ה

    Thank you all for your kind comments and Chanukah wishes.

    ButterYum: I must have been mistaken about the water. Sorry :(
    Perhaps I just put too much extra.

    I actually spell it חנוכה ;)

    ReplyDelete