Sunday, October 10, 2010

Kaak - The perfect Middle-Eastern coffee compliment

ב''ה


My grandmother ע''ה used to make these for us regularly. She would throw them in a bowl in the kitchen and leave them for every one to snack on. They never lasted long. I have been buying them from the stores here in Brooklyn and they will hit you for about $6 a bag. I figured it was time to go back to basics. I have been meaning to get into more of the sephardic baking (maybe batlaweh will be next...)

Roast yourself some turkish coffee (or starbucks as the case may be...) with hawaj and nibble on some of these babies. A truly satisfying, relaxing experience. 



I used the recipe from Aromas of Aleppo and modified it a little.















Coriander, cumin, niggella (black seeds,) anise, sesame, mahleb (crushed sour cherry pits - I could not find that one...)

I added all the dry ingredients together. You soak and drain the anise.


It makes a lovely firm dough that is easy to work with. The recipe I used called for way too much salt.

You cut and roll it into logs.

Cut again and shape.

I like some long ones. You can make them into any shape you want and its fun for kids to help! :)

Egg wash...

Bake high and then a long, slow, low heat. They really are the perfect snack food.




1 comment:

  1. These sound good and healthy, as well. Anise is such a great flavor.

    ReplyDelete