Sunday, February 13, 2011

Heavenly cake - Quail Egg Seduction (cup)Cake(s)

ב''ה


This may be my last baking post for a little while as it looks like we are going to have to move. I'll post when I can.

In direct contrast to dear fellow Heavenly-Cake-Baker Raymond's scathing review, I thought this had an exceptional, indulgent flavor. Really something special. The 5 7/8 cup cake pan did seem a little esoteric though and I could not figure out how to adjust the recipe for a regular nine inch or loaf pan. I decided to just go for cup cakes. Kids love cupcakes and you can just keep baking them until you run out of batter. In the morning before work I almost never have time to actually take out a knife, cut a piece of cake and find appropriate packaging for it. A cupcake, on the other hand, is pre-proportioned, self contained and can be thrown into a lunch bag in the usual mad rush.

In addition, the last cup cake wrappers I found in the store are patent pending as they do not dull their colors as they bake and can be baked independent of a cupcake pan, on a baking sheet (if you wish.)

These little lovelies came 15 in a $9 package so I decided to triple the recipe. What would I do with 10 leftover eggs? Still not sure what to do with the whites...

Mis en Place: One bowl for the yolks, one for the whites and one for checking for blood spots. You can se how the yolks bled a bit into the whites. The whites stubbornly stuck to the yolks and it was only after much cajoling and pulling at the whites with my fingers that they came apart. Still some white got into the yolk and vis-versa. I put the eggs in warm water to take of the chill since I did not have time to wait for them to get to room temperature. A trick I learned on the Joe Pastry site. :) 

I used India tree castor sugar which seems to have an almost molasses-y aroma. Very impressed. Perhaps it helped with the final outcome we got.


The eggs in their vanilla-cream bath. Luscious, rich, thick texture.

Close up of some fine work done on an Italian sculpture. Err, I mean the batter...

They took about 20 minutes to bake. They did not last long and got rave reviews.

Slightly crumbly but a tender and moist crumb. Amaretto whipped cream went  along nicely.

To those of my readers that are interested in the Kosher side of things, here is a little reading on the Kosher status of quail eggs etc.


7 comments:

  1. oooo! Amaretto whipped cream!! I'm glad to read a positive review of these cakes and am just about to get started making mine. I'm sorry to read you may be a little MIA because of your move, but I'll look forward to your return. I wish you have a smooth and drama-free move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like ECL, I'm about to bake and glad to hear that you liked it. Good luck on the move.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mendy, you can hard boil the rest of the eggs. I've had them growing up and they were good.

    Hope the move goes smoothly! We'll miss you in the meantime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amaretto whipped cream~brilliant! I wondered what would set these off further. I'm on the look out for the India tree castor sugar now. Well done, Mendy. Hope your moving goes smoothly. I'll wish good thoughts for you and the Mrs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh..when are you moving? Hope you'll be back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ב''ה

    Thanks everyone! Wish I could be baking today. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Mendy, Saw your comment on Marie's post. Miss your weekly toaster oven escapades. Sending you and Mrs Mendy good thoughts on finding a place.

    ReplyDelete